Online Courses Self Hosted LMS vs 3rd Party Platform
- Who owns the platform? 01:38
- With self-hosted, you own the platform.
- With a 3rd party, they own the platform and essentially own your customers.
- Who promotes the course? 02:41
- If you use a 3rd party like Lynda or Udemy, then you get access to a large audience of people searching for courses like yours.
- Unfortunately, there are many other instructors that you will have to compete with for students. The odds of your course getting found organically is slim.
- If you use self-hosting for your online courses, you can build a marketing platform around your brand to drive traffic.
- What will the costs be? 03:37
- How much control do you have? 05:58
- If you self-host your online courses, then you have full control because you own it! A fun tool for self-hosting online courses is Lifter LMS.
- With 3rd party platforms, you have no control. You can only change and format as much as the platform will allow you to.
Thanks for listening to another episode of WP the Podcast!
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile and you’ve found value out of it, we would love if you would leave us a review on iTunes! The more reviews we get for the podcast, the easier it will be for other people to discover us on iTunes. Thanks so much and see you tomorrow for another episode of WP the Podcast.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!