Beginner Series Part 4 – How to Properly Make Updates to WordPress
- Make a full backup 01:28
- Even if you are making a small update, you should always make a full backup just in case something breaks on the site.
- Test on a development environment 02:14
- If you are able to, you should set up a testing environment. It gives you piece of mind to test out changes and troubleshoot problems before you make updates on your actual website.
- Perform updates in the proper order 03:35
- This isn’t a hard and fast rule, but usually you will want to follow this order:
- Any WordPress updates to the core software. This is the base level.
- Next, you would do any theme updates.
- Finally, any plugin updates.
- Hit the update button! 04:38
- Once you’ve gone through all these steps to properly make updates to your WordPress website, you just hit update!
- Then, test to make sure everything works fine. Look at various types of pages, test your shopping cart, etc
Thanks for listening to another episode of WP the Podcast!
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile and you’ve found value out of it, we would love if you would leave us a review on iTunes! The more reviews we get for the podcast, the easier it will be for other people to discover us on iTunes. Thanks so much and see you tomorrow for another episode of WP the Podcast.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!